Why I became a Special Education teacher...


        Becoming a teacher is something that I have always wanted to do since I can remember. I’m fortunate to have had teachers and parents who made learning and school fun, and I always wanted to pass that on to my students. Although I don’t have a  “pivotal” moment that made me decide to get a special education degree, there were many different experiences that helped me decide that this was something else I wanted to pursue beyond my general education degree. Through working with different ages and different abilities throughout babysitting experiences, summer camps, internships, and later teaching, I knew that special education was something that was extremely important for me and the future students I would work with. I knew that although I wanted to teach, I wanted to be able to find a way to make sure that all of my students would be able to use the information I taught, but more importantly, feel successful.

I feel that these two things are the key to special education: differentiating material so that all learners can grow, and allowing ALL students to feel successful.

 

Although many general education teachers think of these things while they are planning, this is something that I feel is imperative for our students who need more than just the regular curriculum. When I was teaching at a private school, we didn’t have the resources that my district has now, and although I was considered a “general ed. teacher,” I really was also a special education teacher. Creating modified lessons and activities for my different learners, reminded me how I felt about special education. Teachers, no matter their educational background, need to know how to reach all of their students in their classroom.



“I believe all students can learn and achieve, because they can.” This quote is something that I truly believe in and is part of my teaching philosophy. No matter what “type” of teacher you are, you can still create this mindset in your classroom.  All students can learn, if we help them reach their individual goals and help them feel successful inside and outside of school.

Kim Palmisano

Comments

  1. You can see your motto of "I believe all students can learn and achieve, because they can" reflected in your teaching. So thoughtful and always fighting for what you know is right, with student learning always being number one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Courtney! :) :) I really appreciate your constant support, and willingness to help me reach those goals for my students. Very lucky to work with such great educators who put their students first.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Path To Teaching...

Welcome!